Sunday, August 20, 2006

Today's Roast: Guatemala Antigua "Maria Especial"

This bean is a peaberry, so you have to watch the roast carefully to ensure that the beans are circulating correctly. If not, a gentle shake is usually enough to get things flowing again.

I roasted one cup of this bean today using the Sweet Maria's 9:30 roast profile. The recommended roast is "City to Full City", which is quite a range really. The first crack came in at -4:30, the second started at -2:00, and I stopped the roast at -1:45.

I think this may be one of the best if not the best roasts I have ever done. Due to vacation, a busy work schedule, and a general slacking off, I haven't been updating this blog as often as I should and I am adding this entry retroactively. So by the time I wrote this I had already drunk this roast down to the last drop. And it was goooood! It has a quality that I call "chewiness" but is really I guess just a certain thickness to the brew that is simply wonderful. I am torn between roasting up another batch right away and saving this bean for as long as possible...

No comments: