Thursday, May 25, 2006

Today's Cup: Old Brown Java

This bean produces a flavorful cup of coffee. At this roast, I could not detect much of an aftertaste nor too much in the way of ancillary flavors. What I noticed instead is a sweet and smooth coffee flavor.

This coffee seems to do well in milk drinks, also, perhaps because its firm coffee flavor and lack of subtle aftertastes allow it to hold up well to the addition of milk or cream. But this does not mean it requires milk. On the contrary, its smooth, sweet and firm flavor make it a delicious coffee when drunk black (which is how I prefer it).

This was the end of my supply of these beans, which came to me courtesy of Rich. If I run across this bean again I will try a lighter roast to see if I can bring out more ancillary flavors. If you read my blog from when I roasted this batch, I was actually trying to do exactly that with this roast, but it went all the way to full city on me (oops). I was half disappointed and half glad, since I knew from my paper journal that at full city this bean is delicious!

No comments: