Thursday, July 13, 2006

Today's Roast: Indonesia Sulawesi "Toraja" Grade 1

I had less than a full cup off this Sulawesi left; more like 3/4 of a cup. I roasted it using the Sweet Maria's roast curve (see sidebar). The first crack came early, at -4:07, and continued until -1:36. I stopped the roast at -1:00 which is when I heard the second crack starting. The beans look to me like a City roast, but keep in mind that this is an Indonesian bean and the Indonesians roast light.


The 1/4 of a cup that was missing made a huge difference in the finished product. Because the beans expand so much in the roasting process, a missing 1/4 of green beans left me about 1/2 cup short of roasted beans. Luckily I had so much of the Kenyan; I am going to have to supplement this Sulawesi with another bean to get that second pot.

No comments: