Sunday, July 09, 2006

Today's Roast: Kenya AA Dorman

Today I roasted more of the Kenya AA Dorman. This is one of two Kenya's that I have on hand, and I decided to polish this one off.


I had a little more than 1 cup of beans left, so I roasted the rest in a single batch. This was not the best idea; it would have been better to split it in half and roast in two batches. The roaster looked like it could handle the extra beans, so I went for it. But I forgot to account for the way the beans expand while roasting, and by the time the roast was done the roaster was struggling to keep the beans circulating.


Despite this, the roast was still a pretty even one. I had set up a Sweet Maria's roast curve with a minute lopped off the last stage, to make for an eight minute roast profile. The first crack came a bit late, at -2:40, and I stopped the roast at -:40. When I stopped the roast the beans were evenly roasted and looked to be at about City Plus.


I did make one more error with this roast. I had naïvely figured that, since I have been doing such light roasts lately, I wouldn't need to put the roaster on the oven under the ventilation hood. Unfortunately, the smoke alarms did not agree with my decision and several of them protested loudly.

Oops.

No comments: