Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Today's Cup: Ethiopean Dry Processed Ghimbi

Today's Ethiopean came out perfect! The only problem with this pot was that it was my work-from-home day, so I wasn't able to share this awesome cup with anybody. On the bright side, it was my work-from-home day, so I didn't have to share this awesome cup with anybody! :-)



This coffee has a pleasant, earthy taste and the flavor lingers long after the mouthful is gone. A very satisfying cup!


A Second Cup


By late this afternoon, my thermos was empty and I was desperate for a cup. I keep a container with stray beans that for one reason or another haven't made it into a pot. Usually it's because the grinder decided it had made enough ground coffee for a pot, even though there were still a couple of whole beans in the hopper. Today the container had a mix of Ethiopean and El Salvador Finca del Carmen, but it was not enough for a cup. (At least, not enough for what I consider to be a cup!) So I tossed in a few of the Guatamalen beans (which I will be drinking tomorrow) and a few of the Java (which is for Friday and Saturday) and soon had just enough beans for my second cup. This unconventional melange was actually quite good, and interesting enough to hold my attention as I savored the cup.

I always use my cheap little Melita black plastic single cup manual drip thingy, which is big enough for a #2 filter filled with enough ground coffee for a mug. You pour in the hot water just as with the Chemex, you just don't use as much. The Melita filters are not as good as the Chemex filters (which remember were designed by a coffee loving German chemist who was probably also an anal retentive perfectionist, God bless him). The difference was apparent in the thin film that floated on the top of this 2nd cup, like a tiny little oil slick. This does not happen with the Chemex!

No comments: