Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Today's Cup: Mexico H/G Pluma Istmo

Today I finished the Mexican and it tasted much better. Perhaps the extra day helped to mellow out the roast.

Tomorrow I will try the Costa Rican. I am looking forward to it, but think Friday's pot (the second from the same roasting) will be even better, because that's the way it's been going.



At this point I would like to talk about my Chemex. I now set my Krupps to the coarsest setting, and I pre-measure a carafe of water (plus a splash) into the kettle to avoid having to wait for unneeded water to boil. This greatly speeds up the coffee making process. It still takes more of my time than the old automatic drip coffee maker, but it's quite bearable and, given the resulting coffee, well worth the time. And did I mention that the Chemex only cost me $34.50? Best $34.50 I ever spent!



I should probably go over this again for people who are just tuning in: I usually roast enough beans to make two pots of coffee every time I roast. Also, I usually roast two nights before I am going to drink the coffee, because doing it the night before doesn't give the beans enough time to rest. (But as I said not once but twice already in this posting, I am not sure that two nights is enough either!)


Here's where it starts to get confusing: I roast a cup of green beans, which then makes two 10-cup pots of coffee. So when I say I'm roasting a cup, that's a cup of green beans going into the roaster. But when I am drinking a cup, that is a cup of brewed coffee going into my mouth. I am motivated to do the former by the latter!

No comments: